Monday, March 29, 2010

My Birthday Weekend.

This weekend My Husband and I went away for My Birthday, we had a great time soaking up the sun and walking on the beach.

Happy birthday to me!

Sunday was our last day in Santa Barbara, so we headed out early for breakfast. The little town had some really great doors and windows and a little down the street was this was a really cool old welding yard full of rusty things.



we then went to visit the Santa Barbra Mission



After the mission we went back to town to eat lunch before we headed home...
and as birthday luck would have it there was a delightful little antique shop that we came across
I really thought I found the thing that made it the perfect day when my hands found
this little book
small book from 1806

from 1806... my heart was very full!

small book from 1806

then I found a great little bag full of hand made laces and this old wooden Sieve Pestle.

wooden tool and old hand made lace

There was a little squeal of delight when I found some Victorian jet trim along side a vintage mother of pearl buckle. The perfectly worn leather key holder in my favorite shade of blue really made me smile and say to my self "wow it really is my birthday!"

victorian jet trim, mother of pearl buckle old key holder.

I was all ready to cheek out... I held all my goodies in my arms as I made my way to the check out counter only to spy in a glass case on the bottom shelf this box... in the very shame shade as my living room walls....

White Featherweight Box

My heart started to beat a little faster... I bent over... my eyes started to widen... I have never seen a white featherweight in person only online and I really did not need one as I already own two featherweight sewing machines (both black) but this little white one was to perfect for words! not a mark on her and in perfect working condition! I told myself "you do not need this!" My husband saw the wild look in my eyes as I walked to the counter, I was in total control I was going to buy what was in my arms but then the words came out of my mouth "do you think the dealer will come down in price?" and the counter clerk said "he is right behind you" I turned and offered him much less then his already fair price but he was in agreement and I said
"I will take it!"

my new toy!

so here she is the new girl in town, she is like a cool breeze in my studio and she sews like a dream and she is only a few years younger then me. White Featherweights were distributed in the U.S. between 1968 and 1970 and marked the end of production of these small but powerful sewing machines that I adore!

Share/Bookmark

22 comments:

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Happy Birthday Ruth, looks like you had fabulous day and what a great finds (icing on the cake : ) And Congratulations to the new addition for your studio, she looks great.

Again, Happy Birthday!!!

cheers,

Mari

Debbie Demmers-Adkins said...

Happy Birthday, Ruth!!! We too, spent the weekend away celebrating our 2nd anniversary. Will be posting pictures about how a granddaughter used the jewelry she inherited from her grandma in collage art...beautiful. Oh, and anytime I can get to a bookstore, well, I have to tell you....I purchased your charm book that you collaborated on with Kelly Snelling!!! Am so excited! Brought it to work tonight (just got off), didn't get to look at it like I had planned. Thanks for all that you do!!! blessings, deb

Heavenly Anarchist said...

Happy birthday!
She is so cute, I've never seen a cute little vintage sewing machine like her in the UK (says she who owns a treadle and a vintage singer handcrank...and wants more). I think she is wonderful. And all your other birtday goodies too - yummy!

Jill said...

Happy Belated Birthday! You did indeed get some wonderful birthday buys. I almost owned my first featherweight a month ago at an auction but let it go even though it was a fair price too. It, however was black. I've never seen a white one either.

starseasons said...

Happy Birthday. I love it when a woman isn't afraid to tell her age.

Susan Tuttle said...

Happy Birthday Ruth! -- what fabulous finds for the birthday girl!

xo

Unknown said...

Lovely post to read you really did have a super B'Day congrats on your yummy finds

Love Dawn xx

Lynn Stevens said...

What a wonderful Birthday you had. It wasn't my Birthday but I treated myself to your new book! and I Love it!

Dawn said...

A perfect day, Ruth ~ such wonderful finds ~ things that most people would waltz right by. However, I can definitely see some beautiful projects will result with all these treasures!
Cheers ~
Dawn.

connie said...

happy birthday ruth! ahhh, a white featherweight...one could only dream of having one! it looks brand new, way to go lucky birthday girl!

Seth said...

Talk about birthday treasures -- especially that book! Happy day to you!

Patti G. said...

Happiest of Birthdays RUTH!!!!!!!!
And what a huge amount of wonderful treasures you found and then the little machine too! WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! You seem to so happy, and that is terrific!
Hoping all is well there with the whole family! Sending hugs!!!!!
Patti
xoxoxoxox

Unknown said...

What mah-vel-ous bootie! I believe the hunt is part of the creative process ~ can't wait to see what you do with your treasures. Happy Belated Birthday

Renee Troy said...

So happy you had a good day and a happy birthday. I love when that happens!

I'm thinking of going to Art Unraveled and taking your class. Will decide soon.
xxoo

Kirsten said...

Oh Ruth, you would love the stash of old textbooks in the closet here. Your treasures are fantastic.

Surfk9s@msn.com said...

Wow you really did have a wonderful Birthday! Love the new girl in town. I never knew they even made these in white. I love the clean look of it. I know she has found a very good home! I bet you were not like me and waited for her friend to come on over to play! HA..HA..HA....

martha brown said...

Happy Birthday, my friend! You'll have to wait until August for an in-person birthday hug from me this year! And OMG -- I LOVE LOVE LOVE your white featherweight. I am totally coveting it. I neeeeeed one. And I use sieves and pestles like this often to make applesauce!

Yoga with Gaileee said...

How cool!

Judy Rys said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Ruth. I'm glad to hear you had a nice visit to SB. I've lived here fore 30 years and still love it. I have a photo of the same building and all the rusty stuff in the yard! We are refurbishing a house built in the late 1870's and found a lot of rusty tools and chains that I'll be using to alter some fabric.

Lorraine said...

Happy Birthday! Haven't seen a white featherweight ever - great find! Another beauty to add to the collection.

kecia deveney said...

thanks for sending me this link - you told me this story in NJ - so it is fun to reread it and see the sewing machine up close and personal. my, but it is beautiful and i'm so glad you got it. i know that wide eyed look when something fantastic comes our way. what a wonderful birthday. the best part is that it actually works!
xoxo,
kecia

Mosaic Magpie said...

Oh! you lucky girl!