Friday, October 17, 2008

Why We Create

"Something happens to us as we get a little older," she says. "Adults would never consider [drawing] on a piece of paper and then just throwing it away afterwards. In fact, unless it's valuable afterwards, most adults don't think the experience was worth it. So that's kind of what the book is about. It's about what happens. What happens to that creative urge."
~ Lynda Barry

(Artwork By: Lynda Barry)

I got up early this morning so I could play catch up, I spent a little time with my email and I received this link the Depths of Creativity a NPR interview with Illustrator Lynda Barry

(Artwork By: Lynda Barry)

I was fully captivated by this woman's words at 5 am! And if you know me at all, you know that I am never fully engaged let alone at 5 am!

(Artwork By: Lynda Barry)

Maybe because I have been questioning the driving force behind my own creativity I found this so insightful. However if you take this time to listen to Lynda Barry, I believe that she will truly open your mind about your own creative spirit.

(you can explore more of her work here)




Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Kel said...

Oh the gorgeousness, thank you so much for introducing me!

Mary Stanley said...

Hi Ruth...thanks for your visit...see you at Artfiberfest...
Mary

robin dudley-howes said...

Hi Ruth

I love your book! I taught at Art Unraveled in AZ this summer and bought it there! Maija Lepore took one of my classes and now we are friends! Have a wonderful time at AFF and come take a peek at my blog when you get a moment.
Robin

Kelly Snelling said...

lovely pieces. i am sure you will sell every single one. have a fantastic time. i know it will be a dream come true. enjoy the moments in the moment! xo-k

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Her work is just fantastic. *love*