Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Fibre & Stitch

Fibre & stitch is a new online mixed media fabric zine. If you are intrigued with adding more fabric to your art work you must take a look at this amazing zine! It is jammed packed with so many creative ideas for altering fabric! Also in Fibre & Stitch, on page 34, I wrote about my creative process and how I create my fabric/paper doors.


"Doors of Hope"
(October, 2006)

"Hope"
(October, 2006)



Last October I created these for Patti Gramza , its was part of a 5x5 fabric page swap there were all amazing fabric girls in this group and most of the times I felt as if I had bitten off more then I could chew! these girls could really sew! I am what I like to call a "ART sewer" When I look back at some of the things I have done in the past I think... "oh, wow... I would never do it like that again!" but I can see that it was a steep that I needed to take to make it to where I am today... now these pieces that I did for Patti... well, once I made these I knew that I at long last I found my voice and I have been creating in this style for the last year.

"Doors of Faith"

(October, 2006)



"Faith"
(October, 2006)


I would like to thank Patti for all of her kind and gentle encouragement that she has given me over the last year she has supported and cheered me on in the background. it really made me feel like maybe I was doing a good job when I had doubt and fear about what I was doing ( I now refer to this as growing pains)

"heART"
(heart ATC October, 2006)


Growing Pains

by Helen C. Downey


These are the days of change
There’s a new growth that we all have gone through.
First we grow in height to surpass our mothers,
Especially we are taller than our Grandmothers.
Then our voice begins to crack and squeak
While our voice deepens
The peach fuzz on our face begs to be removed.
The biggest change is our vision
We begin to see things in a different light,
A different aspect than all others!
We are coming into our own individuality,
Our own special being.
We see life through a collide scope of beautiful colors.
Realizing that there are many paths to follow,
Many from which we can choose.
Some how we always seem to choose the right one
For us as the years go on.
Growing pains of freedom to be ones self
Gnaw at our tummies
But with patience and observation
We will learn much from those around us.

"heART"

(heart ATC open. October, 2006)

(you can view a collection of more doors here)

Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Barbara said...

oh my your work is awesome!!! i see you are in the fractured quilt swap WOO HOOO!!! love your stuff sweetie!!

hugz
barb

Karen Owen said...

I found your blog through Kelly Snelling's recommendation, and I'm glad I did. Your art is beautiful. I was just reading your article in Cloth Paper Scissors. Wonderful!

Karen
http://karenink.typepad.com/

moi said...

I was fortunate enough to actually see this piece in person and it is stunning. Keep doing what you do because it is beautiful.

Elizabeth said...

Ruth- This is such an awesome piece, so very appropraite for Patti G! She is an amazing woman and gives us all such wonderful encouragement and support! There are angels amoung us!!
Thank you for sharing this special piece with us again!!!
Elizabeth

Debby said...

WOW!!! This piece is so awesome. Gorgeous!!!

Debby

Healing Expressions said...

HI Ruth...I came across your blog this morning and your fabric work is simply breathtaking! I would love to add you to my blog if that would be Ok! Creative blessings!