Saturday, February 07, 2009

Beauty & Decay

Beauty of whatever kind,
in its supreme development,
invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.
~Poe

I was over at Judy's blog today,
she shares some words from one of my favorite writers Edger Allen Poe.
(my dog from my teenage years was named, Poe)
Judy had made a captivating parcel...
to take part in a challenge...
I followed her link to The Altered Page...

The wheels in my head started to turn and I could see my book torn parcels encased with red threads.

I just had to take part in Seth's Natural Evolution Disintegration project.
The idea is to see the toll that the natural elements will take upon that pages over the next few months put them outside and take a photo:
then in the spring show what has occurred.

I chose to make three parcels and here they are:

Sewn
These pages where sewn with a sewing machine to hold the pages together.
I used pages (around 30 or so) from many types of books some old and some newer.

Stitched
these pages were hand stitched with red floss.

Hidden
Pages were piled up and red threads were placed between the layers then I encased the pages in rice paper, then sewed shut.
(I hope that I can open this parcel up in the end and have some wonderful pages that age to perfection.)
white cotton yarn was use to hold down scrolls.

here you have all three of the parcels before I placed them around my yard.

Definitions of: decay
To pass gradually from a sound, prosperous, or perfect state, to one of imperfection, adversity, or dissolution; to waste away; to decline; to fail; to become weak, corrupt, or disintegrated; to rot; to perish; as, a tree decays; fortunes decay; hopes decay.


"hidden"
was placed in my secret garden (behind our jacuzzi) and tied to a tree.


"Stitched"
was placed on a moss covered earth with stones to keep it in place.


"Sewn" was placed in a wood pile half way exposed.
I look forward to seeing how these parcels turn out over the next few months.
(close up details can be view here)

“In a decaying society, art, if it is truthful, must also reflect decay.
And unless it wants to break faith with its social function, art must show the world as changeable.
And help to change it.”

~ Ernst Fischer


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Sherry Goodloe said...

Wow, I bet you get some good grungy papers and fibers to use in your artwork from those!

Lisa Gatz said...

That is going to be a great experiment. I'll look forward to seeing it.

I have been enjoying A Charming Exchange, it's the first book that actually got me making wire jewelry! Thanks!

Lisa

Sue McGettigan said...

Those parcels look very promising - can't wait to see what time and exposure do to them! I think the snails would have a go at them in my garden, we get snail mail if the mailbox is left open :)

Seth said...

So very happy that you found the link to my blog and have joined in on this project. All three of your bundles are amazing already. Can't wait to see what they look like on May 1!

AMIT said...

U have written and posted a very good post.

Work from home

rachel whetzel said...

I'm in awe of all your layers!! SO pretty.