Friday, July 27, 2007

Its good to have friends

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.


It can be hard to find just the right girlfriends that "get us" and to be able to have a girlfriend that is a fellow artist is even more amazing and I must say I have been blessed on all accounts of being surround by the most amazing women artist! always so helpful giving at kind!



Emily Dickinson:

I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you -- Nobody -- too?
Then there's a pair of us?
Don't tell! they'd advertise -- you know!


I took a few days off and went up to Montecito
to spend some time with Nancy, My Art girlfriend in crime that moved away to Reno almost 2 years ago. We have been friends for 7 years, our Daughters where girl Scots together and we meet at a camping retreat and had a fast connection because we both had worked in the fashion industry and were "mom artist"
(Sabra and Sarah our daughters are amazing inside and out! even if I do say so myself!)

Nancy showed me the world of mixed media and we would spend hours creating and collaborating in our studio's. She always called me her technical director because I was the go to girl when something needed to be connected I was there with drill and wire in hand! We had a great few days stomping around town! I was so sad to droop her and her girls off at the air port yesterday! But I am so wild crazy because I have one day to pack up my act so I can head out to Ohio to shoot the how to's for "A charming exchange"

I have been burning the candle on both ends the last few weeks and I fear that I am so far removed from my creativity at this point, then today in the mail MISS AMAZING (AKA Judy) sent me the perfect package of inspiration!

This amazing! handwritten section of a 350 year old Golden Deer Gvil parchment (deer skin) Torah Scroll from Morocco.
its about 20 inches long.
I get chills just looking at it and can not believe that it belongs to me!

*(Manna from Exodus - Shemot 16:16-17:1)


and as if that was not enough she sent me all of these art goodies!

Hand Dyed laces, fabrics, beaded fringe and a large assortment of brass hardware
and a small sweet white (my favorite color!) Siddur
Thank you so much Judy! I feel like a princess now!

This will be my last post for a week or so, I will not be able to blog in Ohio but I will get a chance when I get to Chicago so please stay tune and I will share just what it is like to be a craft hand model :)

E. B. White:

You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that.

Charlotte, "Charlotte's Web"



*PS
son says:
"how do you know its not upside down"

mom says:
" I don't have time to pull out my Hebrew dictionary"

Judy says: "its upside down!"

its good to have friends!



Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

martha said...

You and Nancy look so happy! Hi Nancy -- I'm waving ! Your daughters are both so beautiful -- what a perfect history you all share.
Have fun in Ohio! (you know that you won't be able to wear gloves in the photos, right? hahahaha)
Have fun in Chicago too! I'll miss your posts!
xox

artsyfran said...

I love the torah scroll piece. I would be equally breathless with excitement! Good luck in OH. I know you and Kelly will do great!

Retro Rose said...

Ruth you are so blessed to have an art friend. Loved your blog entry and it has reminded me to contact my art friend.
R

dogfaeriex5 said...

hey where in ohio..you know i live there! the girls are so beautiful just like their moms...
xox
kim

sue said...

Ruth..you too must be a wonderful friend. These are great blessings and the Torah scroll is priceless. I know you'll do great in Ohio. The book sounds awesome.

Michelle M White said...

I found your blog through Suzi...there is nothing as valuable as a good friend. Love your quotes too. Thanks for an uplifting post!!!

Holly Stinnett said...

What a great post! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun - I love the photo of you laughing. It's so natural and you look so happy. Lovely friendship quote too.... one of my favorites!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

What an incredible collection of goodies. Each more beautiful than the last!

PS Your collective daughters are gorgeous - they look straight out of a magazine.